Have look at definition for Both Drug and Medicine:
Drug: Drug is defined as the all chemical or natural substances capable of being used for therapeutic purposes. The expression Drug also includes narcotics, etc.
Medicine: Medicine is defined as drugs used for therapeutic purposes. All medicines are drugs but all drugs are not medicines.
Form definition of both word one thing is clear. For being a Medicine a substance should possessed the property of Drug. A substance has to fulfill Drug specification first to become a medicine. We will understand it with following example:
Suppose we have five substances named as X, Y, Z, A and B. These five substances have different properties. These substances may be natural, semi-synthetic or synthetic and/or chemical in nature. All substances have therapeutic properties for management of Pain, inflammation and Fever. In technical language these substances are Analgesic, Anti-inflammatory and Anti pyretic therapeutic action.
By Therapeutic action, one thing is clear, all four substances could be classified as Drug. Then what will be the criteria for a drug to become a medicine. Now elaborate other properties of substance X,Y,Z, A and B.
Along with above mentioned therapeutic effect, X is a Steroidal drug having potential side effects, due to which X is not using in treatment, cure and management of any disease.
Y is an Non steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug (NSAID) which requires more trials and research to be launched into market.
Z is a drug substance claimed for Analgesic, Anti-inflammatory and Anti pyretic therapeutic action but scientific data or literature for supporting this claim is not available in any type of therapy.
A is a NSAID which is used for claimed indications by healthcare professionals.
B is a steroid drug which has serious side effects but any other substitute is not available and use for claimed indications by healthcare professionals.
Form above five which drugs fulfill the criteria to become a drug. Drugs which are still used for claimed indications by healthcare professionals. Now we got the point. X,Y,Z,A and B are drugs but only A and B are used for claimed indication for curing, treating and managing any particular disease and/or condition. So, A and B will be termed as Medicine also.
Hope above information is helpful to you…
For any query and suggestion, mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- What is the difference between Pharmacy, Pharmacist and Chemist/Druggist?
- Can a wholesaler sell directly to Patient?
- How many Chemist Shops could be opened with a Pharmacist License?
- How can One state Pharmacist apply for License in Another State?
- 22 most commonly written code at Doctor’s Prescription
- How can we make pharmacy education industry friendly?
- Pharmacy Education in India and Top career opportunities for Pharmacy Students
- Who is a Pharmacist? How to become a Registered Pharmacist? Qualification, Procedure, Documentation etc.
- How to start a successful Business in Pharmaceutical Sector?
- How to start wholesale distribution in India?
- How to Start Pharmacy in India?
- Can Registered Pharmacist of ‘X’ state, apply for drug license in ‘Y’ State?
- Who is a Pharmacy Practitioner? Difference between Community, Hospital, Drug Information and clinical Pharmacist
- What is Prescription? Types and Contents of Medical Prescription?