How can we define Area Sales Manager or ASM?
ASM is one of the important parts of Pharmaceutical Sales Team:
- General Sales Manager
- Zonal Sales Manager
- Regional Sales Manager
- Area Sales Manager
- Medical Representative
Key Responsibilities of Area Sales Manager:
- Making Monthly doctor visiting plan for all MR team members and implements it effectively by regular follow-up and discussions with team members
- Organizing special meeting with doctors and healthcare professions through medical representatives according to his daily and monthly planning.
- Set-up campaign and awareness programs for patients & healthcare professionals.
- Keep in regular contact with team members and maintain healthy communication & relationship
- Organizing conferences and seminars for doctors and healthcare professions
- Generating New Business through his Team
- Fulfill all requirements of his team
- Reviewing sale and stock availability in assigned area
- Completing monthly, quarterly and yearly sales target
- Building relationships with Doctor and Healthcare professions
- Daily reporting to seniors about daily work, meetings and performance
- Market review of new products and services
- Keeping detailed record of contacts
- Regular attending monthly, quarterly and yearly meeting of company
- Keeping up to date about company products, services and schemes
- Monitoring activities, products and services of competitors
Qualification for an Area Sales Manager varies company to company. Having 3 to 4 years of experience as medical representative is considered good for recruiting a MR as ASM. Most of companies recruit ASM from its medical representative staff member but some time ASM is recruited from outside the company.
Required Character sticks of an Area Sales Manager:
- Communication skill
- Team Leader
- Commercial and Business awareness
- Personal Hygiene (Hair, Nail, Beard and Cloths)
- Visiting Cards
- Healthy Smiling
- Break the Ice
- Self Confidence
- Confidence in the company and in the products
- Good Listener
- Practical and Flexible Approach
- Patience and self motivation
How can one find Area Sales Manager’s Job?
Companies recruit Area Sales Manager from internal team but some time they recruit from other companies either through consultants or through online job portals. Internal references also play main role in recruitment. One can find ASM jobs at Job portals like naukari.com and shine.com, and other job portals.
How much area is Covered by an Area Sales Manager?
Area coverage of a Area Sales Manager is depend at Company’s Policy. Company may recruit an area manager for 2 or 3 or more medical representatives depend as company sales, turnover, area and many other factors. Many factors effect company recruitment policy for area given to an area sales manager.
To whom does an Area Sales Manager submit his reports?
An Area Sales Manager submits his reports to Regional Sales Manager.
How an Area Sales Manager does submit his Reports?
Now almost all companies have online reporting system. Company provides a unique ID and Password to every area manager to submit his reports at daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly basis.